A multimedia project by Roosevelt University journalism students in the Convergence Newsroom course that takes an intimate look at Homelessness in Chicago, capturing the faces, voices and stories of those on the front lines.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Reflections - "Makes Me Feel Good Inside"



By Morgan Amos

The change in a homeless man’s cup clicks back and forth as he says “hey, pretty lady, can you spare some change?”

The sun blares down on individuals' faces as they pass him by as he sits on a square and gravel stoop that is filled with cigarette butts, soil, and dirt along Michigan and Congress.

The aroma of hazel nut coffee and an array of baked goods drift from the Dunkin Doughnuts shop right along Michigan Avenue. The smell is suddenly over shadowed by the smell of cigarette smoke, thanks to a man that walks past me as I passed the Dunkin Doughnuts.


On this day, people are out and about. Making coffee stops and checking out the latest clothes' sales. Some walk along Michigan listening to their iPods, while others over in Millennium Park seem to be enjoying the weather.

As I watch this, I am on my way to class at the Gage building. What amazes me about what I am seeing is that everybody around me does not seem to pay attention to what is going on around them. It is as if they are in their own world. I guess I pay close attention to detail. For me this is like any other day.

As I continue my stroll, I noticed two guys standing a few feet apart from one another with the color green on, trying to get people as they walked by them interested in donating to Green Peace. The two men seem to get a few people to stop, but none are willing to donate. I try my best to get pass them as I don’t feel right giving out my information to a stranger, but I feel bad because it is supposed to be for a good cause.

What was the homeless man's reason for asking for change, I wonder.

Was it to buy some food?

Whatever it was this much I know, few seem to not want to donate, but I do. I feel that if it was me I would want someone to help me. Knowing that I can make a homeless person feel a little bit better if even for a second by giving them change makes me feel good inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment